Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Killers - Sam's Town Series

I never read a person's blog to know a person. A blog is just figments of the owner(s) figments of imagination. An outlet for his creativity, his inspirations and occasionally his private musings...(link here and here)

So I cleverly (I'm so clever!) plotted (I'm so scheming!) to blindside the usual blogders (I'm so ungrateful!) by disguising my enteries as some
The technique of seemingly stylish writing, use of obtuse words and convoluted structure were to mask the lack of substance.

The only clue? The titles were all songs from The Killers' latest album, Sam's Town.

The first in the series was called Read My Mind. The title was a clue in itself as well! This one had the most personal input. In particular the bit about "the opposite of love is not hate but apathy". This genuinely disturbed more than a couple of people... So I toned it down....but what I was trying to put across was the essence of the song. That people aren't what they appear to be.

Next was Why Do I Keep Counting. This is a damn good song really. Yes, the song lyrics refer the father to a possibly church sorta father but...hey, it can be any form of broken promise. "The haunting romance of a life unlived" came to me. So I just painted this crestfallen guy who never learnt to pick himself up. I like the way I described the smoking....

I had intended to write about "When We Were Young" but thought otherwise cause it was a dead giveaway. I decided that I will reveal this only after I am back from Phuket. So I decided on My List instead. This was difficult because I had to put myself in a "girl" position. I decided then that my most "girlie" moments were when I was hesitant. Ok, there are girls who are very decisive but...well, that was the "well" from which I drew my "water" from. I also cheekily added the line "Hello, it's me". I could've just ended at the first "Hello" but I thought it'd be more interesting with the first line of Todd Rundgren's classic, Hello, it's me. The song, for those who don't listen to evergreens, has one of the most poignant lyrics. Ever.

Finally last night, there was the obvious Bones entry. The video to this single is directed by Tim Burton and Devon Aoki is the female lead. She's currently my muse by the way. She's not ugly. Just very unique. And odd. And weird. And so attractive. Maybe she has feline qualities that I can't see yet. Don't know. Anyway, this entry was about pre-marital sex. Which was what the song is about anyway. But I've decided to have the male play the dominated half. The half that don't really wish to engage in pre-marital sex. Which in real life is true actually. The dominant half in real life is not necessarily the female (or partner if you swing the other way or both ways) half. It could be social pressure, peer pressure, negative influence etc etc....yeah right, who am I trying to kid. Hence I included some lines from the song, "Gone to the dogs in my mind".

No comments: