Sunday, November 26, 2006

Freitag vs Crumpler vs Lowepro (it all makes no sense)

I bought a Crumpler recently. Well, not that recent. Probably about 3 months ago when the Wheelock branch was having a sale of some sort. The bags on display in the left side of the store had "LAST PIECE" written tagged to them.

Last week when I walked past, I saw the bag I bought in there with the same tag. So, you can tell their sales pitch kinda work on me. I thought it'd be nice to carry my brown crumpler while V carries her red crumpler and be seen traipsing around town together - a pair of messengers finding love in the city. Kinda.

I bought a Lowepro Stealth Reporter D100 AW before I left for Phuket to protect my new camera and the lens.

There is this debate in clubsnap where people were discussing the merits and demerits of Crumpler and Lowepro camera bags. Most talked about superior padding of Crumpler as well as the wide selection of colours. There was also the added advantage of the Crumpler bag not looking like a camera bag. In future, I intend to travel with my crumpler (avoid drawing attention to the fact that I am carrying a camera) but with the camera bucket from Lowepro placed into it. Sort of like best of both worlds. Sorta.

On the topic of bags, I came across this blog entry on fashion nation. It was talking about Freitag - a brand of bags from Zurich. Recently a colleague came to work with a Freitag bag and we pretty much got a little excited. For about 4 minutes and 46 seconds. Mainly it was because of the street cred. Because before that, we were talking about someone else who wore BAPE t-shirts and Supreme (New York underground brand) caps to work. Then there was the question of where to get Fred Perry polos. This struck me as really weird cause when I was in uni, Fred Perry was such a duh brand. How the streed cred came about I dunno. Must be linked to British music. I kinda know where to get Fred Perry stuff (The Asylum at ann siang) but didn't want to say too much.

But guess what?

The guy with the Freitag bag turns up for work the next day with a Fred Perry polo.

Hahahahaha....anyway...

more on Freitag bags....you can get them from the asylum too...

The shop in Zurich doesn't even use much new material. It's just a couple of containers being slapped together. It's going for 140 Swiss Francs on the Freitag online shop....it's amazing what somebody else's unwanted garbage can cost when given a boost of hipness and cool smart marketing.

2 comments:

sereneannabelle said...

freitag is really cool.

as long as you dun mind having garbage to put ur belongings in.

heh.

but i still think the whole concept is cool.

just tooo expensive.

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

check out the Spanish brand Vaho Works as well. Similar to Freitag....just that their marketting team not as savvy.

http://www.vaho.ws/shop/cast/