Friday, November 03, 2006

Phuket Series #03: Food

I love Thai food. And it's not just the tom yum and phad thai. It's also the beek noodles, duck noodles, pork noodles and all these sticky rice stuff, the ubiquitous street bbq selling chicken (kidneys and other parts, wing, drumstick, half chicken), pork sausage, weird sausage...but I have always stayed away from the too exotic stuff like fried grubs - cricket/grasshopper...


I didn't manage to find any duck noodle but I sure found plenty of quality beef noodles or kway teow neua (follow the red arrows):


On average, I polish off two bowls of these noodles. I don't know why I find them so tasty. Maybe they shaved some marijuana in them. I added only the chilli flakes that come in little clear plastic bags when you order takeaway. Each bowl cost something like 40baht. I'm told it's not cheap. Not by Thai standards. But it's a steal by Phuket standards, especially around Patong.

The sequence of pictures above show both the beef and pork noodles. That was dinner on the first night. Subsequently, I ate only beef noodles. I found the pork noodles less tasty than the beef.


Like I said, I had Thai beef noodles almost on a nightly basis. I buy them from different stalls and decided that the best thai beef noodles around Bangla Road is the stall near Subway (off Sawatdirak Road). The soup here is the tastiest. Maybe it's msg.

In Phuket Town itself (20 minutes and 20baht away from Patong) almost the entire town was turning vegetarian because of the Phuket Vegetarian Festival. There is a street market along the road leading up to Jui Teng shrine (by far the most popular/biggest Taoist Temple in Phuket) that was set up for the festival.

foodstalls01
foodstalls02
foodstalls04
foodstalls03
foodstalls05

The food sold by all the foodstalls were vegetarian. I tried the noodles....but cannot be compared to the beef noodles.

vegetarian noodles
I'm such a carnivore.

I bought the vegetarian noodles from this stall.
stall

* pardon my amatuerish control of lighting...the pictures were taken on separate days and at high noon! shadows everywhere!

*****************
#01: Introduction
#02: General
#03: Food
#04: Island Tour
#05: Vegetarian Festival
#06: Muay Thai
#07: Firecracker Special
#08: Afterthoughts

No comments: