Sunday, April 30, 2006

City Of Glass

I finally watched City Of Glass last night. Starring Leon Lai and Shu Qi. New performer then, Daniel Wu (V must have watch this before) and Nicola Cheung supported.
It was shown on TCS 8 after 1998's A True Mob Story with Andy Lau, Gigi Leung and Suki Kwan.
Both were fantastic shows at that time. But I only managed to catch them now. I remember watching A True Mob Story at the ending. Because I didn't expect it then. So it was the only memorable scene for me. But that's not cause the movie wasn't any good. It's just not memorable.
But I have never caught City Of Glass. Those who have, well, you will know the story. Boy meets girl, falls in love. Boy goes overseas, drifted apart, met up again 20 years on, both married with a kid, rekindle love flame, secret affair, accident in London, respective kids claim bodies, piece back the love story of that their parents shared along the way fall in love as well. Ah sweet. Oh, there is the added bonus of including the major political events of the time in Hong Kong eg. Diaoyutai claims by Japan, 1997 handover of Hong Kong.

The movie featured Procol Harum's A Whiter Shade Of Pale. Which is a song that I always wanted to figure out.

A Whiter Shade Of Pale
We skipped the light fandango.
And turned cartwheels across the floor
I was feeling kind of sea sick,
but the crowd called out for more.
The room was humming harder
as the ceiling flew away.
When we called out for another drink,
the waiter brought a tray.
And so it was that later
as the miller told his tale.
That her face at first just ghostly
turned a whiter shade of pale
She said, "There is no reason,
and the truth is pain to see."
But I wandered through my playing cards
and would not let her be.
One of sixteen vestal vergins
who were leaving for the coast.
And although my eyes were open,
They might just have well been closed.
And so it was that later
as the miller told his tale.
That her face at first just ghostly
turned a whiter shade of pale.
And so it was that later
as the miller told his tale.
That her face at first just ghostly
turned a whiter shade of pale.

No comments: