Monday, April 17, 2006

Karaoke KTVs and KTV Lounges

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, there is a difference between the 2.

For example, the two leading family oriented karaoke businesses would be Partyworld and KBox right? You know what do they call themselves? PartyWorld and KBox KTV.

But what about those that promise more than just karaoke. Like what was heard in the movie 12 Storeys by Eric Khoo, "You karaoke, they karaoke you!" Those located along Joo Chiat, Balestier Road, Geylang, just like the "spas" and "health centres" located all over Singapore. If you are looking for a weekend of massages, saunas and aromatheraphy, you will be in for a shock.

The "special" karaokes usually have odd sounding names and end with a "KTV LOUNGE". It's deliberately mispronounced as KTV LAUNCH. For example: BAMBOO GREEN KTV LOUNGE, GOLDEN VIEW KTV LOUNGE.

So it was no wonder that yf asked incredulously when I told him I was at a KTV with V. KBox lah bro.

But the point of this blog is that it was the first time I have ever sang at KBox. And I have decided that I can forget about a career in singing. I croak more than I sing. And my limited range cannot handle most songs. Except maybe so Eminem raps but even then, I have got no rhythm. Damn.

V on the other hand, is a singer. Her speaking voice is so different from her singing voice! Her voice is normally lower when speaking to me but she was belting out number after number of songs by Gigi Leung, Fish Leong, Rainie Yang and all these lovely mandarin ballads. So while I was fumbling around the menu, scrolling for the songs I thought I can try singing, V just impressed me.

She's good. Next time I shall smuggle in my iPod recorder and then send the recording to some record company.

Another mental note. Next time at the KTV, I should not attempt another 4 hour marathon. When choosing songs, try as much as possible to stick to original MTVs because karaoke videos of English songs usually feature a red lipstick girl, with lightly permed hair, strolling in heavily shoulderpadded dresses that seemed to come from the set of What A Feeling! The location will feature either a beach, an unknown European town or a garden. A key accesory would be a scarf that can flutter in the wind that is constantly blowing (works well for the beach). Forlorn looks, pursed lips and doleful eyes are a must.

No comments: