Monday, April 24, 2006

Puma (and I'm glad they are enjoying a revival)

Not many know this. Well, maybe I'm wrong.

Rudolf Dassler and Adolf Dassler started Puma and Adidas brands respectively. If you suspect that their shared surname suggests some bloodline kinship, you're right. They are actually brothers. It was in 1948, after the business split, that they founded their sporting brands.

I wasn't born then, but in 1970, Pele, then wearing Puma soccer boots, requested from the referee, just prior to the kickoff whistle to tie his shoelaces. He knew, as well as the Puma publicity engine, that the cameras will be zooming in on him tying his shoelaces. And the Puma signature silhouette will be beamed across the entire globe, straight into the homes of millions of viewers.

Puma has increasingly been engaging in many interesting and exciting collaborations with designers. Stella McCartney, Phillip Starck, Alexander McQueen, Mihara and Christy Turlington's Yoga line - Mahanuala.

Interesting to note, in a recent survey by Singapore Sports Council, Singaporeans are more sporty today than 5 years ago. Not surprising if we note that a number of "serious" sporting brands have set up more shops here or have more pronounced presence. Serious brands like Saucony (Plaza Singapura), New Balance (various location), Asics (various location) and Mizuno (various locations). Of course previously you can find their shoes in Singapore but now they have their own shop fronts.

Anyhow, bought myself a Puma Polo T recently. I thought the tag that comes along with it was a really good laugh. Shall share it.






I like the fact that they made the labels interesting for the people who actually read them. I'm one of the 4% that regularly read these stuff. Pathetic I know.

1 comment:

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I am glad to see that too.

I was afraid the dominance of Nike would turn everyone into suicide astronauts seeking to set up a colony on a distant planet... Hahaha.