Thursday, November 17, 2005

Mornings with Jinks

I am taking rides from my friend who recently became a father. Every morning I will wait for him to pick me up near Lakeside MRT.

I am very good at procrastinating and have not gotten my driving license. I have been wanting to get it since 2000 and it's already five years on. Maybe it will be my 2006 resolution. Maybe. I will take the easy way out and get an auto license. haha..

Anyway, in the mornings, we will be listening to Power 98 and engage in some mindless banter. Occasionally, we'll have some less mindless ones, about his married life, parenthood and things like that.

So this morning I casually made a remark that went something like, 'You know, when we see a pretty girl we will tell ourselves that although she is pretty she'd probably not be as good a girlfriend as the one we're having. But that's just sour grapes and being delusional. You either don't have the guts to approach really pretty girls or you think pretty girls will lead to short relationships. We seem really comfortable when we jump to conclusion in situations like these. But ultimately we will never know if we are capable of something better because we never did try and worse still, take comfort in thinking we have avoided risking our present steady state for a short term relationship that will probably end up in tears.'

He paused for a while, as if anticipating more from me. Then he said, 'There's no point in looking if you decided.'

'But we should approach things like these rationally right? It sounds crude but it's almost like supermarketing. You choose the best product with the amount of money you have. Of course it is really bad to compare it to products when it comes to relationships but it really isn't all that different. And the best thing about this supermarket of love is that the product gets to choose the buyer as well!.' I retorted.

He nodded. So I continued.

'Maybe that's what committment is all about. Knowing that there might be something better for you out there but not having the urge to find it because you are already very contented with whatever it is that you have.'

We then came to a stop at a traffic light. He asked, 'So whose blog have you been reading?'

1 comment:

Tan Kok Seng said...

Isn't there a Chinese saying that translates into "the next guy will be even better"?

Like so many things in life, if we keep looking, we'll never fully appreciate what we already have...