Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Unbelievable Truth - Almost Here

There's a problem I can't solved it. The only way out is too hard now.
Solved


I first found Unbelievable Truth at Tower Records. Andy Yorke was billed as the younger sibling of Thom Yorke who was and still is, famously fronting the (some say) best band in the world - Radiohead. Can't say if I (dis)agree.


She said that his love was a dead man's love, draining the life from another.
Angel


There are certain qualities in Andy Yorke's voice that are superior to Thom's But It isn't fair to compare the two of them. While Radiohead's debut featured radio-friendly hits like Creep, Unbelievable Truth didn't have such luck. Perhaps it was simply poor marketing. Or no marketing.


None of this is harder than knowing about you.
If you were someone else I could live without you.

Stone


Lyrically, I dare not say that Andy is superior but it is infinitely more accessible when compared to present day Radiohead. What do you make of Yesterday I woke up sucking a lemon? I don't know. Someone did try to come up with some convoluted explanations.


Truth and honor combine to make
the same mistakes again.

Same Mistakes


The only similarity Andy and Thom had with their bands was perhaps that both found fame with US more initially. Radiohead of course went on to conquer the rest of the free world. Unbelievable Truth disbanded after 2 albums.


There now, just fading in my mind,
irrelevant echoes of mankind.
I never met their demands.
And they never gave me half a chance.

Forget About Me


I later found Unbelievable Truth in the Big Issue's Sixth Anniversary Commemorative CD. Forget About Me was featured in there.


Every move that I
make is phoney,
and every word I say is lies.

Settle Down


The lyrics obviously don't make much sense since every word he says is lies. It should include these words that he just sang. Ah, technicalities. The band broke up mainly because Andy Thom decided to continue studying at Oxford University pursuing a degree in Russian. And that he really wanted out of the band anyway. Thom's from Exeter University. So I guess brains does run in their family.


And the slightest sound just
makes you want to close your eyes
and hold your breath.

Finest Little Space


J K Rowling was from Exeter as well. As was Will Young (Pop Idol). Rowling's does not have a middle name. Before publishing the first volume, Bloomsbury feared that the target group of young boys might be reluctant to buy books written by a female author. They requested that Rowling use two initials, rather than reveal her first name; because she had no middle name, she chose Kathleen, her grandmother's name. Her first name is Joanne.


And is this proof against my ignorance?
Or am I meant to waste away?

Building


So the melancholia that each of the songs evoke. Not very good for a bright sunny day. But when you feel down and there doesn't seem to be any logical reason as to why shouldn't you feel happier, just listen to Almost Here.


How can I be somebody new,
when I see my own reflection?

Almost Here


Some bands were meant to rock the stadiums. Many band weren't. Some bands can release album after album of throw-away songs. Many bands can't. Some bands are forever remembered. Many aren't. Some bands release worthy debut albums like Almost Here. Many don't. Some bands will go on to release more worthy albums. Many won't.


So when is it a problem
if you push it all so far?

Higher Than Reason



But sometimes, it can be nice to know that not many people will ever discover such gems. It's like finding this quiet spot in the garden that you keep revisiting. Or chancing upon a falling star.


I never wanted you to be
another substitute for me.

Be Ready




Read more about them here (Did you know Thom Yorke's little brother could sing?) - the author wasn't talking about that little brother, here (nudeasthenews), here (Sunday Times article by Andrew Smith) and here (The George Graham Weekly Album Review #1128).

No comments: