Friday, November 11, 2005

You know there's talent in there somewhere.....

....and when it explodes in your face...in the middle of a crowded cineplex in town...on a warm Saturday afternoon while riding up the escalator feeling lonely.

This song has a very 80s feel to it. I don't know if many people agree. It's definitely bubblegum but of such rare quality. Pop songs seldom have such fine lyrics. And I sometimes pay too much attention to lyrics.

It's always weird posting memories on my blog. Firstly cause I never had a habit of writing them down. I have never kept a proper diary. Secondly, I have always subscribed to the belief that the less others know about me, the less vulnerable I will be. Thirdly, well, I will think of a third reason eventually.

But for all those who has ever had previous relationships and had a hard time moving on, well, congratulations! Those who understand what I am trying to say, cheers to the hard times and having moved on, those who don't, try harder.

While our "Once upon a time" did not end with "Happily ever after", we probably have it within us for a long time a piece of the memory. We might have lost resolution on the details but when viewed from far, the pieces still tell a story, a little romantic, perhaps tragic, perhaps magic. But largely bittersweet.

Some of us became cynics and sworn off miracles but luckily most picked themselves up for another ride.

We might one day attend the weddings of the ones you once held hands with but your hands will now be clapping as the couple makes their entrance and the hand she is holding is not yours but somebody elses'. You used to call her by her first name or some other pet names but now you think it might be proper to address her by her new last name. In her case, she is not Mrs Kanal but Mrs Rossdale. She's got things going and although all you've got is a pocketful of memories but you've chosen to move on.

And I know we're cool.

It's hard to remember how it felt before
Now I found the love of my life...
Passes things get more comfortable
Everything is going right

And after all the obstacles
It's good to see you now with someone else
And it's such a miracle that you and me are still good friends
After all that we've been through
I know we're cool

We used to think it was impossible
Now you call me by my new last name
Memories seem like so long ago
Time always kills the pain

Remember Harbor Boulevard
The dreaming days where the mess was made
Look how all the kids have grown
We have changed but we're still the same
After all that we've been through
I know we're cool

And I'll be happy for you
If you can be happy for me
Circles and triangles, and now we're hangin' out with your new
girlfriend
So far from where we've been
I know we're cool




But if we really think about it, it will never be really cool.
And that is the sad truth.

No comments: