Sunday, July 10, 2005

Tea

I remember exactly where and when I fell in love started loving liking immensely Earl Grey Tea. The black tea that is flavoured with Bergamot oil. The delicate citrusy top notes that remains at the back of your throat and the top of your mouth is the Bergamot while the tannins work their magic around the tongue. Green tea doesn't release its tannins into its infusion. The tannin is a suitable calming polar opposite to the stimulating caffeine found in the tea.
Ying and Yang in a tea cup.

James Bond, when not downing shaken martinis, drinks Earl Grey.
Sir Leigh Teabing, from Da Vinci Code, drinks Earl Grey (with lemon no less).
Jean-Luc Picard, when not commandeering The USS Enterprise, drinks Earl Grey.
Jackson Pang, while feeling inspired/insipid, drinks Earl Grey (currently Taylors of Harrogate) with or without milk.

I'm not fancy. I don't even know my teas well. I can't tell lapsang from assam from darjeeling. Although some present day Earl Greys are made with darjeeling or ceylon. But I snigger when people who order Earl Grey ask for sugar, raw or white, at a tea room or cafe. It's perfectly alright. Just imagine adding sugar to chinese tea. But then again, I added milk. So there.

I tried a dash of honey once. Not too bad.

NYDC makes a fantastic and tasty earl grey elephanccino. I take it with whipped cream sometimes. Sugar syrup always - horrors. What would purists think?

It is getting harder and harder to get Taylors of Harrogate here in Singapore. Takashimaya was just about the only place commonly selling Yorkshire Teas. Whittards closed their only branch at Suntec long ago...They have Jacksons of Piccadilly though. At Takashimaya. Which I heard is still using Chinese Black Tea (Oolong) and bergamot from Italy. I have tasted Twinings Earl Grey but would really like to try their Lady Grey which features grapefruits, lemons and bergamots oils. A citrus rush.

But now to Bakerzin at One Fullerton again. I don't know what Earl Grey they serve. It's loose tea so you can't read off the labels at the end of the teabag. And it might be the tightness of the tea caddys cannisters. No aroma. Or maybe I don't know what good cup should taste like.

Meeting up with uni friends. Afternoon tea and friendly banter. Sweet.

No comments: