Tuesday, July 19, 2005

SHIT - Somebody Help! It's Tuesday

It's the 19th of July and it's V's birthday. I haven't really gotten her anything out of the ordinary this year so...it's like last year then? I guess we both look forward to X'mas more than our birthdays? I wonder if she agrees with me?

I don't want to go all contemplative and start on how we should look back on the past year on our birthday, more so than new year'd day because birthdays are more personal. ..... So I won't.

We checked out Baybeats 05 on Sunday. It was the final day and I was really eager to listen to Concave Scream again. If I am not wrong, the last time was at the Substation's garden when BigO was celebrating 10 years and counting. Caught Leslie Low (then of Humpback Oak, now of The Observatory) singing Normanton Park. Amazing.

But Sunday was Concave Scream's night. I only have their 3rd album -Three. They were still as tight as before. Gave an encore and really, all of us there wanted more. Swirling guitars and a interesting drumming....anymore downtempo and I would call them the Cocteau Twins of Singapore - minus the Elisabeth Fraser vocals of course! They played old tracks like Fiction - we'll get by,anyway, it's only fiction and Hold - passing days half sober, like a broken toy in motion as well as some new stuff which was "untitled". Anybody knows the last track before the encore? The lyrics contain rain rain go away?

Sean in the front.....Pann with the hair....


I tried getting the rest of their albums. Especially Erratic which I know is great. And even emailed the band when they had a proper website. They no longer have it I guess. But then again, I emailed Leslie before about getting older humpback oak albums. he directed me to Valentine's Music or DaDa records....that was in 2001 when I was still in Uni. I guess they were surprise to get an email from a york.ac.uk account. maybe not.

Well, anyway, Victor, who was from Concave Scream is now with The Observatory playing bass amongst other stuff (heard them live at Esplanade and also Leslie Low alone last year - thumbs up!). Evan Tan of the Observatory is a former Padres. Evan does keyboards and cool stuff with the Mac. Concave Scream has got a new bassist. Looks dynamic! Can't remember his name though. Tight!

Joe Ng aka meepok man aka padres lead singer blogs about great music amongst other stuff. I go to his blog to listen to really great music. Like kenny sia, he was at the Sarawak Rainforest World Music Festival. And THIS is his blog entry - joe's.

So when can I hear a truly Singapolloza? Kevin Matthews of The Watchmen singing My One and Only, Naked singing Don't Cry, Padres singing Radio Station, Lilac Saints singing Gina, Odd Fellows singing Unity Song, Humpback Oak singing EVERYTHING...... blah blah

I didn't want this entry to be about V's birthday. She has been really supportive of me these past weeks. It's been hectic, I can't even celebrate the most special day of my most special girl. Sigh.....~

V was with me at baybeats. she enjoyed Concave Scream's set as well. Yippee!
You can tell from here that she has picked up STIKFAS as well =)
We were at Outback Restaurant and she did so many poses with my Bernardette.
I am amazed. Pleasantly so.
Bernardette is now at V's place.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the "rain rain go away" song was a new one right?

but no matter which, i love the way he sings. :D

and you're back! Double :D

ok. too many times and that's not cute anymore. heh heh.

Anonymous said...

Where can I get local bands' albums? I heard Concave Scream and Vertical Rush and I'd juz like to get their albums. But the local gigging circuit doesn't have enough exposure which is good to an extent least they sell-out like Electrico.

do email me at wif_attitude@yahoo.com.sg

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

Hiya,

Where can you get local bands' albums? I know hmv sell them. so does sembawang. so you got the major players here selling them.
Tower Records too.

Da-Da Records at Funan the IT Mall
109, North Bridge Road?

I would really like to get my hands on the old albums by Humpback Oak and Concave Scream.

I dunno about Electrico. I heard their hit on radio. Not too bad. Catchy. Dun think they "sold out" unless by selling out you mean to be played on local radio and enjoy a decent amount of popularity???

Give them a break! Haha, miss the padres and odd fellows.