Monday, July 11, 2005

My First Trip to Dr Lee in 15 Years

Lee Clinic.

The nearest clinic to my home.

I never did realise that it has been 15 years since I last saw him. A baby would have been a teen with raging hormones. A teen would have gone through his quarter-life crisis. An adult who can watch R21 movies would have been a father or at least gotten married. A father would ...you catch the drift.

After yesterday's excesses. It was decided unanimously by my body and all the organs within that some would have to go. So out they came. This morning. After waking up feeling feverish, I did the usual do (brush teeth, shower etc....) and after drinking a cup of coffee down, things just went pear-shaped. Gone pete tong.

The nurse at the reception counter gave a little exclamation when I gave her my visiting card. It was ancient. The cream coloured card was the result of oxidation. She changed one for me. She couldn't find my records anywhere. And asked if I was still using my name. Like duh?

She went round the back for about 5 mins.

Came back triumphant. "You haven't been here for 15 years!" "Very healthy hor?"

I just smiled weakly.

When Dr. Lee saw me, the first thing he asked was, "So anything happened that you want to tell me? We haven't met in 15 years."

So I told him about my marine viral infection that was caused by an injury in Sembawang waters. Never really recovered and got worse during my years in York.

And I told him that I was diagnosed as being hypertensive during a free NKF check up early last year and was confirmed by another family doctor that is located nearer to my old home.

So he gave me some tabs to curb my nausea and told me that the fever could have been imagined. But to come back if need be.
Then he took my blood pressure reading.
My systolic was between 140 - 150. Diastolic was about 100.

That's way off his charts for him. I was 169 when NKF came to base last year. Hey! I am getting better. But 140-150 is still way too high....

Shit. I gotta do something man.