Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The 0.6 Million Dollar CEO - The Powers of NKF

The National Kidney Foundation. The CEO with a 12 month bonus. T T Durai

Today has it.

Tomorrow
has it.

Half of Singapore was talking about it. The other half either don't read newspaper or only read the SPORTS section.

First, let me disqualify myself by saying that as far as I can remember, I have never donated any money directly to NKF. I have never called any of the 1900-112 6868 or any of the numbers. But my reason for not calling is because I figured they have gotten so many publicity over the past many years and I am pretty sure they have a steady stream of income from the investments that they make. They definitely have a income generating machine that is very well-oiled within that building at Kim Keat.

My donation usually end up being distributed to the list of charities pegged to the President's Challenge (no, this is not about whether or not His Excellency, Mr Nathan will run for another term). I have donated my one day pay previously but now that my family need charity as well, I have cut back the donations by 20% or so.

I just dread it when people loudly proclaim in that "didn't I tell you" type of voice that they have never and will never donate to NKF knowing that the people within are so well-paid. Hey, look, you just got to know this for sure recently. And it is not as if you have been donating to other charities. If you are a miser nut, admit you are. I respect you more if you just admit that but instead you start motor-mouthing away on why should that CEO be paid so much.

Actually.....if we should compare him with other CEOs of other charity organisations both here in Singapore and those from other countries, I wonder how he will rank?

Interesting to note....when you key in 112 6868 on a T9 activated mobile phone you get......[..count]!

So I tried the other numbers:
112 6855 yielded [..coul?] basically no such entry. darn! so was 112 6868 just a coincidence?
try 112 6833 and I got [..anted]! Wow! Back on track. Anted as in up the ante?
Moving onto 112 6888 which gave me [..bottu]!!!! Wow! In case you were wondering, "bottu" doesn't mean anything. But I gave it a google and guess what? bottu hmm....Bottu was possibly a French surname....belonging to a guy name Alain in Thailand apparently.

Or Bottu could be an Indian name! So I did the next most natural thing and googled Bottu with T T Durai! Guess what? I got this!!!! Amazing! This is not really a Googlewhack because Bottu and Durai aren't really words....but hey! I had my fun.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can anyone do such a thing?
The money shd be to the needy and REAL needy.
It is such a disgrace and sad thing and what upsets and irrates me most is how they push the patients out to "CRY" at each fund raising!!

Pls. Can GOD or anyone do some justice to us ie the PUBLIC and the sickly?

Anonymous said...

I like your nick..its pretty cute. ;)

Anonymous said...

Though I felt disgusted that 600k of the donation $$ was paid to the NKF CEO, I felt that the NKF board should answer to the public why they approved such a large sum of the donation's $$ be paid to the post of the NKF CEO knowing that the $$ comes from the blood sweat and tears of the ordinary folks on the streets.

Anonymous said...

Hi All NKF donors Fool ,
All of you not only need to pay for the big talent and proffeassional liar.
this is a new industry and which can get lot of money from all the stupid poor low income fool .
I would urge all of you can chip in some penut capital to set up a charity foundation , and used the name of charity for HIV , cancer...
And bring in some patient to act infront of the camera , pay them some money , to show some pity faces and cry or something like that , ask foreiner DJ , and you can be very sure to get rich over the next 3 years.Is a huge business ..

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

Right....I have got three comments from anonymous. Well, to the particular anonymous who said hi to all NKF donors, you better check your grammar, spelling, tenses and syntax! My god, I am equally appalled by NKF management as I am by your English (or probably Engrish to you). For starters, write Peanut and Foreigner a hundred times.

Now go stand in the corner!

To the other two anonymous(es), yes I agree with you both. Instead of asking for help from god, why not do it ourselves? But please remember the end-users of the NKF fund are indeed needy.

Anonymous said...

Being an ex-banker, I did some analysis on the NKF reserve of S$280 mil. Assuming that all of its is use to purchase Government Bonds that yield a 3% interest, NKF will receive an annual interest income of S$8.4 mil. Using NKF's 2003 financial statement as a guide (S$ 7 mil deficit)as to how much is being drawn from its reserve, the interest income alone is sufficient to cover all future annual expenditure perpetually. There is no more need for more donation until there is a significant increase in number of patients. This is another area of lack of transprancy in the way they operate the fund.