Friday, June 13, 2008

DvF X SEARS X YAOHAN - first and last?

The previous post attracted a comment from Mr CSC.


Mr. CSC is correct. Sears "caters for the low-end of the market".

But that didn't stop Diane von Furstenberg from collaborating with them to release a homeline.

INTRODUCING........

THE MONO RINGS PEACH MELBA


And way back in 1983 (or thereabouts), my mum bought 6 plates designed by DvF for Sears from Yaohao for SGD1 each.

SGD1 used to buy a bowl of noodles which costs about SGD3 now. You go do your math and draw your own conclusion about the cost of the plates.


Apparently Ms DvF didn't quite like the range she did for Sears. In an interview with the Boston Globe:

IDEAS: You bridged that couture/mass-market divide in the 1970s, when you sold a home line through Sears at the same time you were selling clothes in top-tier stores. Had that happened before?

VON FURSTENBERG: No, it was new. But frankly, I don't know if it was the best idea at the time. It certainly isn't something I would do now. At the time, I didn't know the difference between this and that. Now I know. So I'm very meticulous about keeping my distribution at a high level-Saks, Neiman, Barneys, Bergdorf, Bloomingdale's-but not any lower than that, and at reasonable prices.

Atas siah.....

Not exactly exciting news. But if you don't know by now, I simply adore trivia like this. I think trivia don't drive conversations. But they start and sustain them.

No comments: