Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The best laid plans

I find myself trying to learn too many things at the same time. Before it was trying to learn as much about wine as possible but mum kinda frown upon it cause of my health. Then there is the lack of proper storage at home so i don't see the point of keeping good wines for a latter time. I much prefer drinking off the shelf wines now than drinking good vintage varietals improperly stored later. Then there is the driving (car) to think about. Bloody hell, I can drive a boat but cannot drive a car.

Right now, I really want to polish my handling of my DSLR, perhaps go for some courses. Maybe next time end up doing wedding photogs. Looking at some of the wedding photogs around, all that they have alot of are the gadgetry like fish-eye lens, external power supply for their flash, their flash, flash softeners...

I think I will really like taking portraits. Full face, half body or whole body.

I really like my Tamron 90mm Macro lens because it gives fantastic bokeh when I take portrait shots. And if V will only allow me, I want to take more portraits of her.

Night shots totally challenge me. Cause I haven't got a good grasp of aperture and shutter speed control.
Things go awry sometimes when I experiment with shutter speed. I think it's like painting or most other artisitic pursuits. Before you can really write a haiku or sonnet, you'd better be really precise with your words. It's not just a syllabus or line count approach to poetry. Or even abstract expressionism, cubism and other abstract forms of artwork. A distorted shape is not abstract art. A misplaced nose and eyes rotated by right angles may not lead to cubist art. I think I want to get the basics right before I experiment too much. But experimental work is lotsa fun.

Look at the portrait shot of V above. It's badly focussed. The hair in the foreground becomes the part in focus when I wanted the eye closer to the right to be in focus. Nice bokeh though. And the colours are fantastic as well.

I also want to know more about denim. But that's altogether another matter by itself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: photography
The only suggestion I have is to spend more time and experiment. You need to know some techniques, but mostly its trying out different settings, angles, lighting, and what not. I spend way too much time these days with my camera and still get rubbish pictures most of the time!

Hey, are camera lenses cheaper in Singapore (than UK)? I might ask you to buy me one if it is ;-)

Cheers,

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

you can let me know what lens you are interested in and when I'm free will go look around then I'll let you know the price.
Or just go onto clubsnap.org and look under Canon lens and Canon mounts under the Price guide section in the forum.

if they are really cheaper (with shipping - that I gotta check it out) yeah, why not.

Anonymous said...

I was looking at 100mm macro lens , but it seems prices are quite steep there as well. They cost almost the same as here and with shipping, it might be even higher than here! Thanks anyway! I'll try my luck on eBay here instead :-)

Cheers