Thursday, March 22, 2007

Sometimes the law makes us criminals

I was clickling on the RSS feeds for Channelnewsasia.com Singapore news. I saw the line : Man with cannabis arrested at Woodlands Checkpoint.

I had an uneasy feeling. I was thinking he'd probably get the death penalty if convicted. I was secretly hoping he wouldn't but I know it's rather impossible.

SINGAPORE: A 32-year-old motorcyclist has been charged with importing a controlled drug.

The man, a Malaysian, was arrested at 5.40am on Wednesday at Woodlands Checkpoint after more than 2 kilogrammes of cannabis was found in his rucksack.

His urine sample was also tested positive for cannabis.

If convicted, he faces the death penalty.

I was in UK when they decided to change the law on marijuana. It's sort of like the chewing gum in Singapore, the way marijuana is treated over there now. And cannabis in Netherlands, well, everybody knows what coffeeshops there are all about. As well as the "magic mushrooms".

I think about this 32 year old. Maybe he has a family. Maybe he hits his wife. Maybe cannabis is just his "gateway drug".

But fuck that. He's going to be hanged.

Read this article from RAND, drug policy research centre. Using Marijuana May Not Raise The Risk Of Using Harder Drugs

No comments: