Monday, March 19, 2007

Mosaic Music Festival Presents Rachael Yamagata

*I re-posted this because I added the setlist....which was really tough...and added the lyrics to Would You Please because it's so darn tragically beautiful.


I have never heard of a single track by Rachael Yamagata. Damn, I have a feeling that if not because of The O.C. soundtrack, she may not have gotten a chance to be at Mosaic Music Festival. Same for The Album Leaf. Okay, I'm kicking myself for not getting ticks The Album Leaf....

Like I said, I've never heard of a single track by Rachael Yamagata. Not consciously.

As she began to sing with her 4 piece band, I was starting to pigeon-hole her. Hmm...vocals like Joss Stone + Fiona Apple (no Norah Jones). Maybe a US version of Canadian Feist. An American Beth Orton. And when she sang Be Be Your Love, I thought hmm...maybe a female Ryan Adams.

It's a bad habit that I have, trying to pigeon-hole stuff.

She was so candid with her casual banter about her songs, trying to garner dates for her band members, dragging her drummer to her autograph session (an effort to find him a date, maybe).....

If there is a favourite throughout her concert, it would be "What If I Leave". Now to search for that EP.....

And after listening to her CD album that I bought at Esplanade, and did the queueing thing for over an hour to get her autograph, I must say the songs carry more personality when sung live. It was fantastic that she signed for all, cause I was like within the last 5 guys in the queue. And I had plenty of time as I was waiting for friends.

"Fantastic performance." I tried my best not to mumble. She looked up as she was signing, flashed a big smile and said "Thanks!".

I'm such a fan boy.

Letter Read
Collide
Be Be Your Love
What If I Leave (forthcoming album)
Paper Doll
Under My Skin
Meet Me By The Water
Known For Years
Would You Please (I MUST find the EP with this track!)
Worn Me Down
Sunday Afternoon (forthcoming album)
Reason Why

The above was really difficult because basically I knew I can't recognise a single track (never heard her before). So I just keyed in the bits of lyrics I heard in my phone. And with alot of help from songmeanings.net, I did it!

would you please
let me slide a few words
under your door

the first three say "I love you,"
the last five "but I can't no more,"
I don't believe in miracles
no, not like I did before

and would you please
let me slide a few words
under your door
and would you please
yeah, try to understand

there's a paragraph or two
devoted to the memories that we shared
in the dramatized songs about
how there'll be no more memories
no more memories

and if you'll notice in the corner
there's a tiny little heart I've enclosed
like a little surprise (oh yes, I did)
and if you'll please ignore
the smeared, smudged writing
it came from the tears in my eyes

you're probably gonna get it
after a long day
you may not even believe it's true
I know you know, you know
you know my crazy ways

yeah, but sleeping beauty is going to bed
she put a little tiny hole in her own head
gotta find her own way home
before she's dead

before she's dead...

No comments: